Making food deliveries for Grubhub is flexible gig work in today’s difficult economy. The company is app-based, and it takes and delivers food orders from countless restaurants that customers would otherwise not be able to get food from for want of their own delivery personnel. Grubhub indeed provides a valuable service, but with the thousands of California restaurants that it delivers for, its drivers are almost always on the road, and with all of that exposure in California traffic, accidents are inevitable.
A Few Common Causes of Grubhub Accidents
Grubhub delivery work is incentivized. Drivers make the delivery that they’re assigned to and go on to the next customer. That hurried pace can cause careless and negligent driving on already hectic California roads. Here are a few common causes of traffic accidents that can be caused by Grubhub drivers:
- Speeding: Driving at excessive speeds is common for delivery drivers. The faster that they make deliveries, the more money they make.
- Distracted Driving: Work-related texts and phone calls are to be expected. Drivers might not know exactly where they’re going either. Many use GPS systems to get to customer locations.
- Disobeying Red Lights and Stop Signs: Not only is this dangerous for delivery drivers themselves, but it’s also dangerous for others who are in intersections.
- Drowsy or Fatigued Driving. Most Grubhub drivers work part-time as a second job. Long days and evenings take their toll on a driver’s cognitive abilities, perception and reflexes.
Who Will Cover an Accident That Was a Grub Hub Driver’s Fault?
Grubhub requires its drivers to maintain their own personal automobile liability insurance in California’s minimum liability amounts of $15,000 per person, $30,000 per occurrence and $5,000 for property damage. Those limits are abysmally low. Emergency room services, a couple of days in the hospital and surgery on a broken leg will cost far more than that. What’s more, if the driver’s personal insurer learns that its insured person was on a delivery when an accident occurred, it’s highly likely that it will walk away from covering the accident. If the driver didn’t have a commercial endorsement, that denial of coverage would be perfectly legal pursuant to the terms of a personal auto insurance policy. If a victim owns a car, a claim might ultimately be made under their uninsured motorist insurance. That’s because Grubhub carries no insurance at all for its drivers.
If You Were Injured in an Accident That Was Caused by a Grubhub Driver
If you suffered serious injuries as a result of the negligence of a Grubhub driver, you’re probably eligible for compensation for your injuries and damages. You must act quickly to preserve and assert your right to that compensation though. Here’s what you should do:
- Call 911 immediately. Tell the 911 operator that you were in a motor vehicle accident. Ask for both police and paramedics to be sent to the scene. Police can obtain information to make a written report, and paramedics can stabilize you and get you to a nearby emergency room for evaluation, care and treatment. The reports of the investigating police officer, paramedics and emergency room personnel are pivotal in establishing your personal injury claim.
- Upon your discharge from the emergency room, you’ll likely be given instructions. Follow them by attending every medical or therapy appointment that you have. The opposing insurer will use any missed appointments against you.
- Notify your car insurer that you were in the accident. You have a contractual duty to notify it accordingly and cooperate with it in its investigation of your accident and injuries.
- Contact us and ask to take advantage of our free consultation and case review offer. You can tell us what happened, and we can answer your questions and give you our opinion on how to proceed,
Under no circumstances should you give the opposing insurance company a written or recorded statement without the benefit of having an attorney present on your behalf. You’ll want to retain us right away after consulting with us. After being injured in an accident that was caused by a Grubhub driver, protect your right to compensation for your injuries and damages by contacting our California delivery accident lawyer right away.