A Lyft ride through Madera can be a handy, and economical option. But when Lyft drivers in Madera cause collisions, those inside the car, outside the car, and victims in their own cars can suffer the consequences.
If you or a loved one are seriously hurt as a result of an accident involving Lyft it’s important to reach out to a rideshare accident lawyer to make sure you’re informed. You have rights as a victim, but an insurance agent for the Lyft driver or the Lyft company doesn’t have to tell you about every option you have. Talk to a Madera lawyer for a free assessment of your case that comes with no-obligation to you. And don’t worry about fees and payments. If you do decide to let us represent you, we don’t get paid unless we win your case.
Madera Dangerous Lyft Drivers
It may seem like a slim chance that you’d be hit by a rideshare driver, but when you consider how much they do from behind the wheel, you can begin to see why there’s a high probability of accidents.
Lyft employees are often forced to drive distracted because of the nature of their jobs. They rely on a cellphone for every part of their job and that’s the biggest distraction of all. They can glance down and miss spotting you crossing at a crosswalk or fail to see a green light turning red on Yosemite Avenue and force an impact with your SUV.
Here is a list of just some of the dangerous temptations Lyft drivers can face on their shifts:
- Distracted Driving – Lyft drivers get notifications from their phones that lead to a look at the screen every time. Sometimes those notifications ring out every minute. Lyft employees must take a moment to assess where a ride request is and whether they’ll accept it. Drivers can also be taking lunch breaks while on the road, trying to eat. Passengers can also provide a big distraction while in the car.
- Reckless Driving: Passengers make or break driver ratings, so the temptation to speed so a Lyft driver doesn’t keep them waiting is high. Just finding an address, even with mapping help, can leave a rideshare employee weaving through the lanes, slowing down and speeding up as they read street signs. Uber employees may also be emotionally upset and be driving a bit aggressively. We can all have bad days, but those dangers are magnified when someone works from the driver’s seat.
Lyft Insurance Coverage in an Accident
If you hadn’t guessed, a car accident involving a giant transportation company can be a lot more complicated than a normal accident between two local drivers. What’s more, that confrontation with Lyft insurance agents and lawyers won’t be up first.
You’ll first have to determine the driver’s personal auto insurance provider and file a claim on that coverage. A personal policy can have limits on compensation that might leave you with half of your hospital bills still left to pay. Insurance companies can also deny your claim outright if they have a problem with their policyholder driving for Lyft.
If this avenue is a dead-end or you end up needing more in compensation, Lyft’s insurance policy can be called upon. They actually have up to one million dollars in coverage to offer, but it’s only available in certain situations. The driver must have been logged-in on the app and working when the accident occurred.
If the driver had a passenger in the car or was on the way to a pick-up then the one million dollar policy can apply. If the driver didn’t have a ride request at the time but was just cruising and hoping to get a customer, victims can draw upon an up to $100,000 policy. In some cases, even your own car insurance’s uninsured motorist coverage can play a part in securing compensation.
Earning Compensation in an Accident Claim Against Lyft
Accident victims have up to two years to file a claim over an accident in California. It’s beneficial to file as soon as you and your attorney feel you are ready because the sooner you get your accident claim on the desk of a Lyft insurance agent the sooner you can expect to hear back.
Your claim against the Lyft driver and Lyft itself can ask for support on every hardship you’ve faced since your collision and injury. That can include some of the factors below:
- Medical expenses now and those expected in the future.
- Lost earnings from having to miss work.
- All costs involving a permanent physical disability such as mobility issues or a loss of a limb.
- Emotional distress, such as depression and anxiety. The expense of psychological services.
- Damage or destruction of property.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
Contact a Rideshare Accident Lawyer in Madera
After an accident involving Lyft, a member of the team may contact you for a statement. Speak to an attorney before talking to anyone after you’ve been injured. These recorded statements that insurance agents seek can be used against you later.
If you or a loved one sustained a serious injury and the accident involved a Lyft vehicle, contact us for a free and confidential consultation. Whether you were hit by a Lyft driver, injured as a passenger, or were a Lyft employee injured and you feel like you’re not receiving help from your company, we can help you.