Lyft drivers seem to be everywhere you are and need to be. They are happy to pull up to your driveway and take you over to the Tulare Outlets for a bargain run. They’ll even take you up N. Mooney Boulevard/Highway 63 to Visalia if that’s your destination.
This constant on-the-go is great for riders but it can prove to be a hazard for people out in their own cars trying to run errands or transport kids. More drivers on the road can mean more chances of collisions. And some of these rideshare drivers face constant distraction from their tasks for Lyft or Uber and other delivery services.
If you are hit and injured by a careless Lyft driver, or if you are in a Lyft vehicle during an accident, or if you were behind the wheel for Lyft, contact a rideshare lawyer to discuss your rights as a victim. The question of getting help with your recovery from a giant rideshare company can get pretty murky. You need someone with experience getting the maximum compensation for your pain and financial hardships after an accident involving Lyft.
Your Options After A Lyft Accident in Tulare
An accident involving a rideshare vehicle can be scary no matter if you’re behind the wheel, seeing the crash from the backseat or if you’re a cyclist or pedestrian struck by a Lyft driver.
As a victim, you can hope to find compensation to help you pay for hospital bills and cover your lost wages at work as you heal. It’ll depend on the circumstances of the accident though.
At times your path to getting help with your recovery can feel like a merry-go-round. Here are the most basic options you may face:
- The Lyft Driver’s Policy – First you’ll be required to file a claim for damages against the driver’s personal car insurance policy. This claim can be thrown out by the driver’s insurance agent if they have a rule about covering drivers while they work for rideshares. In that case, you are then permitted to try to hold Lyft responsible since it was their worker who caused the accident.
- Lyft Insurance Coverage – Lyft provides help to injured victims if the accident meets certain criteria. If a driver is working but doesn’t have a customer request Lyft provides up to $100,000 total injury liability per accident, and $25,000 property damage liability. If a driver has accepted a ride request on the Lyft app or has a passenger in the car, Lyft extends up to a million dollars in liability insurance. This coverage applies until the passenger gets out of the car.
- A Last Resort… Your Auto Insurance Policy – The Lyft employee’s policy and Lyft’s coverage may both deny you. In this case, you may have to file to get compensation from your own car insurance under the uninsured motorist portion of your policy. It’s important to know that you can still get cheated by your own insurance agents. They can forget that you are a loyal customer and try to get you to accept the bare minimum in coverage. An attorney working for you can make sure they can’t try this stunt.
In some cases, your attorney may be able to try one more thing to persuade Lyft to step up and do the right thing. An investigation into Lyft’s background checks and hiring policy can reveal some poor practices that may have put you and others in danger. Did the employee have something on his or her driving record that Lyft didn’t find? Lyft’s own safety training for drivers (if there is any) can also be called into question.
Compensation After a Lyft Accident in Tulare
Winning a claim against a driver or Lyft can change the outlook of your recovery. You can stop worrying over how to cover your medical care and things like a mortgage payment and car payments and just focus on healing and getting back on your feet.
A successful claim can earn you compensation for all of your hardships experienced since the moment of the crash. These are some of the factors that can increase the amount of your award:
- Hospital and medical expenses. Any medical care anticipated to be needed in the future.
- Past and future lost paychecks.
- Permanent physical disability such as a limp, loss of a limb, or paralysis.
- Emotional distress. Treatment for depression and anxiety after a traumatic event.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Damage or destruction of property.
Contact a Lyft Accident Attorney In Tulare
If you or a loved one sustained a serious injury after an accident involving a Lyft vehicle contact us for a free and confidential consultation. A rideshare attorney will listen to you and determine the best course of action after a collision that was the fault of Lyft and their employee. Lyft makes plenty of money by using our roads and they should also be liable when their business practices cause devastating accidents.