While DoorDash may be convenient for some, if a DoorDash driver causes an auto accident then they can ruin someone’s life. If you have been severely injured by a DoorDash driver, contact us today to start your financial recovery process.
DoorDash Accidents in Visalia
Sometimes the desire to avoid Visalia traffic can override the urge to venture out for some fast food. In our day and age, that’s not a problem, because there are half a dozen food delivery services waiting on your app order.
These dedicated drivers will go anywhere you choose and rush back to your front door with a steaming bag of food. The convenience of food from companies like DoorDash can’t be beat, but there is a downside to that speedy service. There are dozens of drivers zipping on and off of Visalia highways all day trying to make a buck on deliveries while creating added hazards for other drivers.
Visalia DoorDash Accident Risks
You may think that the odds of getting into an accident with delivery drivers are small, but they are out on the roads every day, often distracted by their jobs, and often in a rush to bag an order. DoorDash drivers or “dashers” are on the streets in 4,000 cities and beyond food, in 2020 they are starting a new program to deliver pharmaceuticals from Sam’s Club pharmacies.
There are a lot of Dashers using our roads and likely to be more to come. They are making money for themselves and the company. What’s even more concerning is that if you are unlucky enough to be hit by a delivery driver, you may be left to figure out just who will pay for your injuries. Companies like DoorDash are quick to hire drivers to go find food, but they aren’t always as quick to respond when their drivers cause accidents.
DoorDash Distracted Driving Hazards
California prohibits the use of cellphones by drivers unless they are mounted for hands-free use and then only a single swipe or tap are allowed to open a feature. You may never hold a cellphone in your hand. The California Office of Traffic Safety warns that engaging in distracting behaviors with a phone can make you three times as likely to cause an accident.
If this is the case, then you might assume that food delivery drivers likely break this law every day. A cellphone makes their jobs possible, but even the best hands-free set-up can leave them gazing for dangerous amounts of time at their phones.
There are plenty of other distractions and temptations to drive carelessly that DoorDash drivers must contend with each day:
- Working for more than one company. A common practice when drivers hope to get more orders and make more money. There are apps that make it easier to switch between the DoorDash app and the Grubhub app or the UberEats app. The added cellphone activity is a danger in itself on the road, but even the increased amount of orders can add more pressure for the driver and cause them to make a traffic mistake.
- Distracting Orders – New orders can be accepted incorporating unfamiliar restaurants in unfamiliar parts of town. Picky eaters and their instructions can also tie up a driver’s attention.
- The race to get food to a hungry customer while it’s still warm and fresh. The tip may depend on it.
- Another common practice by rideshare and foodservice drivers. When drivers don’t have any orders but they continue to circle in a certain part of town so they remain close to potential orders.
- Driver physical and emotional health – Dashers may be working without sleep or may be exhausted from too many hours on the road. They can also be distracted by problems at home or relationship issues. These are things we all deal with while working, but DoorDash employees are behind the wheel as they work providing risk for every other traveler.
What to do if You Are in an Accident with a DoorDash Driver?
It’s always important to collect as much evidence as you can after a car accident, but it’s especially important when dealing with a DoorDash driver. You might have to prove your case to the driver’s insurance company, DoorDash’s insurance company, and possibly your own insurance company.
Immediately after an accident, if you’re able to move, look to establish your innocence with these important details:
- Call 911. Make sure investigators know who the other driver works for. Note if you saw the driver using a cellphone or driving distracted right before the accident.
- Take photos. Take pictures of the damage to the vehicles involved, road markings and arrows, and street signs. Try to tell the story of the accident in photos.
- Get information from any witnesses who saw what happened. Make sure you know where to locate them later.
- Exchange information with the DoorDash driver. Get their DoorDash worker identification number. Make sure to note any DoorDash signage he or she is wearing or that is affixed to their car.
- Make an appointment with your doctor. Get everything checked out and note any new pain that arises in the days after the incident.
DoorDash Insurance Coverage for Visalia Accident Victims
After an accident caused by a DoorDash driver, you should focus on healing and getting better. Unfortunately, you may have to also deal with the frustration of getting compensation from those responsible for your injuries.
DoorDash employs contract workers, so the blame for accidents often falls completely on their drivers. This is, of course, great for DoorDash, but not great for you.
You may file a claim against the dasher’s personal car insurance but there’s a good chance that claim will be denied. Many insurance companies don’t provide coverage for their policyholders while they’re behind the wheel for DoorDash.
DoorDash does provide coverage for drivers and their victims, but it can only be called into use in certain situations. Also, the driver must have had food in his or her car for a customer and have been en route when the accident happened for DoorDash insurance to apply. In these cases, they offer up to $1 million in bodily injury and property damage. This policy is only meant to cover only what the driver’s own insurance does not.
In cases where the victims can’t rely on compensation from the driver or DoorDash, a claim might have to be filed against their own auto accident policies. Coverage would come from the victim’s uninsured policy coverage.