The urge to get out of the house can strike out of the blue. Whether you want to try a new lunch spot, do some shopping or maybe you’re expected at work or school in half an hour, it’s always a good time to hit up that rideshare app.
Requesting a ride from an app like Lyft can have drivers at your address in mere minutes. Their rush is great when you are waiting, but what about everyone they encounter on the way over. Consider that they may have been speeding, looking at your location on a phone, and narrowly missing pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists. And now you are entering the same Lyft vehicle to perhaps put yourself in harm’s way.
If you’ve been injured in an accident while riding in a Lyft vehicle or you’ve been hit by a Lyft car, the attorneys with Rideshare Law Office of California can help. You may also be a Lyft driver hurt in an accident, we can also help you. Contact us for a free and confidential consultation on the facts of your case. We can help you sort out a complex rideshare incident and determine just who may be held liable for your injury. It may be the driver or Lyft itself or even both.
Lyft Driver Insurance Coverage
You may be traveling along obeying every traffic law when you are suddenly struck by a rideshare driver. Just before impact you might have seen him or her tapping on a cellphone. It’s not as uncommon as you might think.
What makes these accidents even more tragic is that if you are hurt, you may be stuck in a game of keep away. The driver’s insurance and Lyft’s agents may toss your case back and forth with no one stepping forward to accept responsibility. You may be dealing with a painful recovery while you deal with a stack of medical bills and lost paychecks at work.
After a collision, your first attempt to get help will have to go through the Lyft driver’s personal car insurance coverage. This can often be a lost cause because insurance companies usually won’t cover their policyholder or their victims when it’s discovered the driver was working for Lyft when the crash happened.
At this point, you’ll have to file a claim against Lyft Incorporated. The problem is they only offer coverage to victims if the accident happened in a certain phase of the driver’s shift. If the driver had a passenger in the car or was on the way to pick up a passenger, Lyft backs accident victims with up to one million dollars in coverage. If the driver didn’t have a passenger but was on-the-clock (logged into the app) there is up to 100,000 dollars in coverage available. If a driver isn’t logged into the Lyft app but is on the road and causes an accident, Lyft won’t usually be liable.
However, if Lyft is providing zero help to you as you cope with a debilitating injury, there are certain issues an attorney on your side can bring to light to get them to change their minds.
These are just some of the things an attorney can call into question:
- Lyft Safety Practices – Did Lyft provide training to its drivers, online or in-person? Are background checks performed often enough? Do their employees feel like they must engage in unsafe practices just to keep their jobs? Has the driver been in trouble with Lyft before?
- Lyft Worker’s Driving Record – An attorney can investigate the driver’s past traffic violations and even criminal charges if they exist.
- Drowsy Driving – Does Lyft monitor how many hours a day their driver is working? Is the driver getting enough shut-eye?
- Lyft Vehicle Safety – Is the vehicle in use safe and inspected often? Lyft should take responsibility for the cars that are making the company money. If a malfunction on the car itself causes an accident a claim against the car manufacturer may be possible.
Compensation After a Lyft Involved Accident
Victims in Lyft accidents may have less time than they think to file a claim over their injuries. California sets the statute of limitations on a civil case at two years from the date of the accident.
Two years seems like a long time, but to give your case the best chance at a positive outcome victims should really file as soon as they are ready. Evidence will be easier to collect and documents will be easier to retrieve in the weeks after the accident. It’s also best to get your claim on the desks of a national company like Lyft as soon as possible. They may take their time processing and responding to your lawsuit, so the sooner you get it to them the sooner you may get the compensation you need.
If your case wins an award you can hope to collect compensation for all of the bills and other hardships you’ve had to go through in the months since the accident.
Here are a few of the things that can factor into how much compensation you receive:
- Medical expenses. Money for any surgeries or rehab expected in the future.
- Wages from missed work hours. Any lost wages expected in the future.
- Costs associated with a permanent disability such as medical equipment, physical therapy, or even training for a new career.
- Emotional anguish. Loss of enjoyment of life. A claim might earn you money towards counseling.
- Enduring extreme physical pain. Pain that might stay with you over a lifetime.
- Damage or destruction of property.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the following links to learn more about these frequently asked questions:
Contact a California Lyft Accident Attorney
If you are hurt in an accident caused by a Lyft driver don’t trust that insurance companies will have your best interests in mind. After an accident, you may soon fall behind on not only hospital invoices, but your monthly cost of living expenses like a mortgage or power bill.
An insurance agent may try to ignore these hardships and pay you only for your current medical costs and then try to be done with you. Those bills are only half the story.
We have represented and protected victims from all over California. If you or a loved one sustained a serious injury in a crash involving a Lyft vehicle, contact us today for a free, confidential consultation and case evaluation. After you tell us what happened, we will help you consider all of your legal options.
Whether you were hit by a Lyft driver, injured as a Lyft passenger, or hurt as a Lyft driver, call us today. Our goal is to help you get the maximum amount of compensation available to you for your injuries.