Uber cars have become a common staple of Merced roads. However, so have Uber accidents. If you have been injured in an Uber accident in Merced, contact us today to discuss the process for filing a claim.
Uber Driver Accident Dangers In Merced
The mere seconds it takes to hitch a ride is amazing, but you might not have given much thought to what it takes to provide such fast service. Your Uber driver may have been cruising around your section of town for an hour waiting on your request. They might have gotten your notification and immediately taken a long look at their phones to accept it. They might have been starting and stopping or speeding to find your location.
All of these activities can be filed under distracted and careless driving. They are all actions common to Uber drivers and they are all proven to be factors when collisions occur. If you happen to be out in your own vehicle, walking, or on a bike, you could be the unfortunate victim of a collision caused by a distracted rideshare driver.
A study reported in the MIT Technological Review examined the effects of rideshares and their arrival on U.S. Streets. Researchers wanted to see how much accident rates had increased when compared to the days before Uber and Lyft. They found that traffic deaths generally increased by 2% to 3% in the U.S. cities after rideshares arrived, equating to around 1,100 added deaths a year.
Does Uber Provide Coverage in Accidents?
After an accident caused by an Uber driver, passengers or victims in other cars involved generally have three paths to getting compensation for their injuries.
- The Uber Driver’s Insurance: Uber requires all employees to carry a personal auto insurance policy. All accident claims must first be filed against the driver’s policy. This usually doesn’t go very far though. Many insurance firms don’t cover drivers when they are behind the wheel for Uber. They may reject your claim for damages outright or they may only cover a small portion of your expenses. In these cases, you can try to hold Uber itself responsible.
- Uber’s Insurance: Uber does provide up to a million dollars in liability insurance for drivers and their victims, but it only comes into play in certain situations. If an accident happens while a driver is on the way to pick up a passenger or the passenger is in the car, the million-dollar policy can apply. If the accident happens while drivers are on-the-clock (logged in on the Uber app) but don’t have a customer, Uber’s coverage only goes up to $100,000. When the Uber driver isn’t logged into the app but traveling around, Uber generally won’t accept any liability.
- Your Uninsured Driver Coverage: If all else fails you may have to file a claim against your own insurance policy. This can be an unpleasant experience for victims. Just because you are dealing with your own insurance agents doesn’t mean they will treat you fairly. They will still try to limit how much compensation you receive. A rideshare accident attorney working on your case can help turn the tables and make sure you get enough compensation to cover every cost of recovery.
Even though Uber may say they won’t take responsibility for an accident, there are strategies a rideshare law attorney can use to force them to accept blame for your physical and financial hardships. Among other things, attorneys can examine the Uber driver’s record and question Uber’s hiring and training policies.
Compensation for Merced Uber Accident Victims
If you are hurt in an accident, as a passenger, if you are hit by an uber driver, or if you’re an Uber driver, filing a claim for damages may be the only way to hold Uber fully responsible for your injuries.
Personal injury victims in California are given up to two years from the time of the accident to file a civil lawsuit. It can be important for victims filing a claim against Uber to do so as soon as possible. A large rideshare corporation may take a while to acknowledge and investigate your claim and the sooner a claim hits their desks, the sooner you may get help with your bills. An attorney can help you determine when your case is ready to move forward.
If there’s a positive outcome in your case, you can expect an award to help cover these damages:
- Medical bills (present and future costs of rehabilitation and medical equipment)
- Permanent disability
- Travel costs for doctor and legal appointments
- Missed time from work
- Damage to your vehicle
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium (emotional support of spouse)
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental Anguish/PTSD
Contact a Merced Uber Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one sustained a serious injury and the crash involved an Uber vehicle, contact us today for a free, confidential consultation and case evaluation. After you tell us what happened, we will discuss all of your legal options.
Whether you were hit by an Uber driver, injured as an Uber passenger, or hurt as an Uber driver, call us today. Our goal is to help you get the maximum amount of compensation available to you for your injuries.