Long one of the country’s leading vehicle manufacturers, Ford has recently developed a line of electric versions of the popular Mustang, called the Mach-E. As part of the company’s ongoing commitment to electric vehicles, they are partnering with Uber to lease these vehicles to drivers.
Although both Ford and Uber’s primary objective with these vehicles is to improve the environment. With Uber’s dominant presence in the rideshare market of California and Ford’s status as one of the country’s oldest automakers, it gives them cache when it comes to addressing clean air and greenhouse gas emissions (GHG). Ridesharing has been praised for its environmental benefits, as it reduces the number of cars on the road by offering carpooling services.
What is the Ford Drive Program?
Most people in California are familiar with both Uber and Ford. That said, as the development of automobile technology as accelerated in recent years, the effect that vehicles have had on the environment has also been scrutinized over the past several decades. At the same time, it’s clear that ridesharing services–especially in places as populous as California–is not going away.
In order to better serve this market, Ford launched its “Next” program to offer flexible lease options of its Mustang Mach-E, currently between one and four months. The vehicle will be delivered within two weeks, and then payments and rides can be managed through Ford’s “Drive” app.
With these options, it certainly provides incentives for Uber drivers to utilize these vehicles. That said, understanding how electric vehicles work–and some of the hazards associated with them–is also important to know.
Understanding Electric Vehicles
While the main utility of electric vehicles is that they’re better for the environment than traditional gasoline-powered vehicles, they have become more and more common in California. Still, there are a few key differences between electric vehicles and regular cars:
- Battery – Electric vehicles have an auxiliary battery that powers things like lights, air conditioning, and audio systems.
- Motor – The motor in an electric vehicle is powered by a battery, unlike gas-powered cars.
- Transmission – The transmission transfers power from the motor to the wheels of an electric vehicle.
- Charging port – Electric vehicles have a port for external charging of the battery.
- DC/DC converter – This device converts higher voltage power from the battery to a lower voltage for the vehicle’s functions.
- Onboard charger – The onboard charger converts incoming AC electricity to DC power for charging the battery.
- Power electronics controller – This device controls the amount of electricity from the battery and regulates power and torque.
- Cooling system – Electric vehicles have a cooling system to maintain proper temperatures for the engine, motor, and other components.
- Traction battery pack – This battery stores the electricity needed to power the motor of the vehicle.
These components work together to make electric vehicles operate efficiently and with minimal environmental impact. However, there are also risks that are associated with using these vehicles.
Risks Associated With Electric Uber Vehicles in California
Driving or riding in an Uber or Lyft in California, like any vehicle, comes with risks. While electric vehicles are cleaner for the environment, they have some downsides, especially in accidents.
- Electric vehicles have primary and auxiliary battery systems that provide power. In accidents, these batteries can ignite, especially if the collision is near the front of the vehicle. Malfunctions can also cause batteries to overheat and catch fire.
- Electrical fires are more common in electric vehicles due to the complex power systems. In accidents, these systems can be damaged, increasing the risk of fires.
- Many electric vehicles, and newer cars in general, have self-driving or autopilot features. These systems take control of the vehicle, which can be dangerous. They distract you from driving and can malfunction, leading to accidents.
Generally, if you’re in an Uber accident as a passenger, it’s your job to show the insurance company of the responsible party how much damage you’ve suffered. This can be tough because the insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible. That’s why it’s crucial to have our team of skilled Uber accident lawyers on your side. We’ll assist you in collecting evidence and take care of negotiating with the insurance company, ensuring you receive the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Contact Rideshare Law Office Today
Using one of these Mach-E Uber rides is a convenient and environmentally friendly way to get around California. However, when you choose to be a passenger, you are entrusting your safety to someone else. This can be challenging if you are involved in an accident and sustain injuries.
Whether you were injured as a passenger or while driving your own vehicle in an accident involving an Uber driver, our team of experienced rideshare accident lawyers can provide guidance on your rights and available options. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out more.